Monday, October 14, 2013

California Day 3: Venice Beach


On Day 3 we went to Venice beach and I said hello to the Pacific Ocean for my very first time. I tend to remember the first times I've ever encountered massive bodies of water. The very first time I ever saw the Atlantic Ocean I was 8 years old and in a snowsuit on New Year's Day in New England, and the very first glimpse I every caught of the Mediterranean was next to the modern-day library in Alexandria, Egypt.

Venice Beach!
 I'm at the beach! Surrounded by the sounds of the ocean and sunshine and palm trees! You have no idea how far removed from my every day reality this was for me. It was awesome.

 
Muscle Beach in Venice is the famous open-air gym that Arnold Schwarzenegger and other famous body builders use to frequent. 

Venice has a very touristy boardwalk part to it. And a lot of bums. But hey I guess if I was homeless the beach would be the place to be. 


We ate lunch at the Figtree's Cafe & Grill. If you're ever in Venice Beach, please do yourself a favor and eat here. The food was very fresh and they had a large selection to choose from.
I had the grilled ahi tuna sandwich with an iced coffee.
Chopped tomatoes, red onions, basil and capers marinated in balsamic vinaigrette w/ arugula, horseradish mayonnaise on rosemary focaccia. Cue drooling Homer Simpson style.
After lunch we headed south towards the pier and into the less touristy part of Venice Beach.
Meet "Declaration"
The 60 foot tall steel sculpture on Venice Beach by Mark di Suvero.

Oh just shopping for my future beach house ;)

The pier!
Loving life in this picture.

Last but not least the Venice canals :) How cool would this be if this was your back yard?

No comments:

Post a Comment