Sunday, December 16, 2012

Camouflage Cupcake Frosting

I realize this cupcake is really not Christmas-y at all but I think more than a few hunters will appreciate this one. I had a special request from a friend to make camouflage cupcakes for her boyfriend's birthday. When she asked if I could do it, I've never done anything like this, but I'm not one to back down from a challenge, so of course I said yes.

This cupcake is all about the frosting, so you can use any type of flavoring you'd like for the cupcakes. I also used these cute camouflage cupcake wrappers I found in Wal Mart.

This turned out to be really easy and sort of difficult at the same time, and really messy.
There was frosting every where!

Camouflage Cupcake Frosting
Yields enough frosting for 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup of vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco)
1/2 (1 stick) of soft unsalted butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
food dye -brown, green, & yellow

1) Cream the vegetable shortening & softened butter until well combined & creamy.
2) A half a cup at a time slowly incorporate the confectioners sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl between adding the sugar. 
3) Once well combined, add the vanilla extract and mix.
4) Now divide the frosting equally into 3 bowls and mix in the food coloring.
5) In a pastry bag fitted with a ribbon tip, try to add equal amounts of the 3 different frostings. This is easier said than done, but trust me the colors will combine as you squeeze the frosting out, creating a cool camouflage look. Then go ahead an top with brown sprinkles. Here I used dark green and brown leaf sprinkles.


No comments:

Post a Comment