Saturday, July 14, 2012

Friday Night Dish

Good morning lovelies! I've been thinking of incorporating more blog posts about my culinary adventures beyond cupcakes, to include insights and reviews of restaurants, farmer's markets, and recipes tried at home. Let me know if you want more posts like this, or strictly cupcakes.

Friday night is typically date night for my boyfriend and I. I'm the type of person that will try anything once and I'm always looking for new restaurants. Ithaca, NY is a mecca for foodies in upstate New York. Jared and I have many favorites, some places even recognize us now, but last night we tried a new-to-us restaurant in the Ithaca Commons called Mia. This pan-Asian restaurant was beautiful, had excellent service and the food was amazing. I didn't take pictures of the entire meal because I was way too excited to dive into the food.

For the appetizer we had the special of the night, which was a tuna sashimi with a mango salsa and seaweed salad. For the main course I had the GrawPraw Goong, which the website lists as "stir fried prawns with snow peas, onion, and fresh chili pepper in Lex’s hot Thai basil sauce." It was so so so good! However, it was also so so so hot! As in 3 glasses-of-water hot. I love spicy foods, but this was just too much for me. Knowing what I know now, if I ever order this dish again, I would ask them to tone the spicyness down a notch. Besides the burning, it was extremely tasty. 

For dessert Jared and I both ordered the Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate Mousse. How do I put this without seeming cliched? It was heaven. It was the perfect portion of a white chocolate mousse sandwiched between a chocolate crumb crust and a top layer of dark chocolate mousse. In a word, decadence. On the side of the plate, was a pretty design of caramel sauce. I'm kicking myself now for not taking a picture of it. I have to say too, that this mousse was even better, in my humble opinion and taste buds, than the very well-known and delicious Earl Grey Chocolate Mousse served just down the Commons at Madeline's

On the agenda for this weekend is Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache for my big sister's birthday dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment