Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wilton's Cake Decorating Class

Hello lovelies! Pardon my absence, but I have been so busy the past two weeks! In flour & sugar related news I finished my introductory-level cake decorating class at Michael's this last Thursday, which also happened to fall on my madre's birthday. Therefore my final cakes had to be a birthday cake! I learned a lot and reinforced some basic baking techniques for this class, but I am do glad this class is over with because I am over baking in this 92 degree wether with 90% humidity.

What: Wilton Cake Decorating Class
Where: Michaels Craft Stores
When: my class happened to be on Thursday nights from 6-8 PM. Classes are 4 weeks long, once a week.

Pros: Learn or brush up on (depending on your experience) the basics of how to bake and frost the perfect cake. You learn a lot of basic decorating techniques, such as how to make ribbon roses! This class provides the foundation needed for the more advanced work, such as gum paste and fondant.

Cons: This class ends up being a much bigger time commitment then just those two class hours. You have to put in a lot of at home prep work -which does pay off in class, but for those that work full time you will have to make everything a day or two in advanced. Also, at times it does seem like a giant marketing scam for Wilton to try to convince you, you need a Wilton cake lifter. What do you mean you don't already have one?!
Not Perfect, but my mom loved it :)

Dot boarder and design on the side of the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment