Monday, April 15, 2013

Food in the Finger Lakes: Souvlaki House

My love affair with Greek food began in 2009 with a 2 week trip to Greece. Ever since then I've been on the look out for really good Greek food. Unfortunately the Finger Lakes does not boast a wide variety of Greek restaurants. You can come across the odd Gyro stand at the local farmer's market, but I have trouble finding Greek establishments that aren't run off of a folding table, so you will imagine my joy at discovering the Souvlaki House in College Town in Ithaca, NY.

I made my discovery like most young and highly educated adults do now-a-days, Google. After craving some street-cart style Greek food on a recent Saturday and feeling way too lazy to actually make any myself, a quick Google search led me to the Souvlaki House. Located right next to the Cornell campus in College Town, it is a gem of a Greek-Italian Diner.
I ordered the gyro (and for the love of God, it's pronounced "yeer-oh" not "gi-roh") which was ginormous! And cheap, only $6.25 for that bad boy. I believe the gyro meat was a house blend of herbs, spices and beef, (to be completely honest gyro meat tends to freak me out if I think too hard about it. Some places it tends to be a complete mystery, but I think I read somewhere on the menu that it was beef here -at a lot of other places it tends to be lamb if not otherwise specified) tomatoes, lettuce, onions and slathered in tzatsiki sauce all wrapped in a simple-carb-heaven pita. I also splurged and added on feta for an extra $.75.
Jared basically got the same thing but as the platter (ie. more of every thing.)
This is not haute cuisine, but it is incredibly satisfying and affordable.

Who: Souvlaki House
What: Greek food with a side of nostalgia as you are surrounded by fellow dinning college students
Where: 315 Eddy St, Ithaca, NY 14850
Need to know: Parking is scarce in College Town, I highly suggest you brush up on your parallel parking skills before hand, or park in the parking garage near by.





No comments:

Post a Comment